Sos Straw Hair: How To Rehabilitate A Coarse Mane
Your hair is coarse, its ends tend to split, your lengths crunch under your fingers, disciplining them becomes a puzzle? Follow the guide with advice from Simon Assoun, co-founder of Boicoiff’s - hair expert.
The hair is a real asset of seduction, in addition to giving style to a look, it is a pledge of self-confidence. Beautiful, neat, and luminous hair always works, but taking care of it can often be tricky. Healthy hair is strong, resistant, smooth, and shiny hair. If it loses its luster, becomes dull, brittle, rough, it is a sign that these scales are open, that the cortex is exposed, becomes ultra porous. Results? an indomitable mane in the battle that leaves much to be desired!
Faced with this observation, we wonder how it got there. The hair is constantly put to the test, increased drying through the sun, wind, saltwater in summer, the heat of hairdryers, straighteners, curlers, overly astringent shampoos that strip, colorings, and chemical discolorations, not to mention beanies, helmets that suffocate them, the list goes on.
To restore all its vitality and beauty to straw-covered hair, 3 months of absolute vigilance is required with a battle plan that requires some sacrifices. Patience is essential, but when you arrive, the satisfaction is there! We are preparing to change our habits.
1. Redemptive reflexes
- We put the hairdryer in the closet. A microfiber towel is used which absorbs moisture and reduces drying time.
- We resist styling tools (straightener, curling iron), styling yes! but not at the risk of his hair, we leave them in peace! Why not bet on gold, silver, colored flat clips, or a headband scarf to create a hair look.
- Avoid plastic brushes and combs, which are often ultra-rigid, attack the hair and make it more brittle. We use a soft boar bristle brush; it ensures a delicate brushing without risk of breakage. On the comb side, it is chosen in wood with wide teeth.
- We sort our products to avoid formulas containing parabens and sulfates which turn out to be irritating and toxic. Be careful, with care based on silicones, if they give the illusion of sublimating the hair, it is only a cosmetic flash effect, they are occlusive, suffocate the hair and end up dehydrating it. The solution? favor natural organic formulas without formidable additives. We do not hesitate to scan the labels via the Yuka app to decrypt them properly.
2. The hair care prescription
We take care of your hair day and night for optimal basic treatment.
- In the 1st month, it is imperative to do a detox cure. The right partners: a clay shampoo to purify the hair fiber followed by a care conditioner with ylang-ylang that tones the scalp, closes the scales, smoothes the hair, and adds shine. It is applied from the roots to the ends, the ideal is to leave it on for a minimum of 5 minutes, we take the opportunity to do a gentle massage of the scalp, the boost to optimize its action, as a bonus for foot relaxation in the cape! Detangle the lengths with the fingers and rinse. The right frequency of this duo: twice a week. If you are addicted to washing more frequently, you can use your usual shampoo in the meantime, if it does not contain ingredients criticized of course!
- During the 2nd and 3rd months, we add other shampoos with specific active ingredients to our hair routine. The right equation of beneficial agents to be used alternately: A treatment enriched with calendula that nourishes the hair + a burst of aloe vera, champion of hydration + a third with nettle to strengthen the hair and give it back 'radiance = an optimal action of the virtues of each one for an unstoppable fitness! This team is used in tandem with the ylang-ylang care conditioner, which remains the right partner for detangling and smoothing.
- Apply a shea butter mask once a week to dry hair. This ingredient, rich in vitamins (A, E, D, F), oleic acid, and phytosterols, has everything to hydrate, nourish, protect the hair fiber, with it, guaranteed repair and softness. It is applied to the lengths, insisting on the ends. A scarf is welcome to protect the pillow. In the morning, we rinse then we shampoo followed by the treatment.
- We tie his hair. Sleeping in braided lengths (a loose braid so as not to pull on the scalp) considerably reduces friction and the risk of breakage, the hair does not tangle, no knots when you wake up.
- Put on a silk or satin pillowcase. This type of silky material limits friction and the appearance of split ends, it is also a comfort and well-being bonus, also the right tip if the hair is not long enough to be braided.
3. The magisterial parade
Vegetable coloring is a supreme ally when the hair is in distress. Water-based and enriched with natural pigments which are none other than extracts of dye plants (chamomile, henna, indigo, etc.), it coats the hair, unlike chemical coloring which opens the scales. In addition to covering gray hair, tinting the hair, boosting its shine, or even bringing reflections, it gives a curative and preventive action since it wraps the hair fiber as a protective sheath against all aggressions (thermal, climatic, chemical), a major asset for straw hair.